CENTRAL MEDICAL STORES TRUST
DIRECTOR OF PHARMACEUTICAL OPERATIONS
The Central Medical Stores Trust (CMST) is responsible for procurement, warehousing, sales and distribution of quality medicines and medical supplies to all health facilities in Malawi. CMST is seeking to recruit a transformative, visionary and goal driven individual with ability to get the best out of their team to fill the position of Director of Pharmaceutical Operations (DPO) at Grade MS2.
Overall Purpose of the Job:
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Director of Pharmaceutical Operations will be responsible for the strategic direction of Pharmaceutical Operations including determining pharmaceutical requirements, warehousing, sales and distribution of medicines and medical supplies using best business practices to maximize value for money and promotion of pharmaceutical product integrity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate actively in the development and execution of the Trust’s strategy to ensure achievement of the Trust’s objectives;
- Develop, implement and monitor operational and contingency plans for achieving objectives of the Directorate of Pharmaceutical Operations with focus on warehousing, sales and distribution for medicines and medical supplies in line with national health priorities;
- Be responsible for the day to day running and operation of the Directorate of Pharmaceutical Operations including providing leadership and supervision to middle management and staff to ensure excellent performance;
- Be responsible for a responsive, agile and efficient supply chain system that has the ability to meet the changing needs of customers, deliver high-quality pharmaceutical products with short lead times at low cost;
- Embrace and coordinate integration activities across the organisation and those involving other supply chain partners to ensure stock availability and information visibility;
- Support the CEO in the implementation of CMST policies and programmes to ensure alignment of activities with CMST’s mandate and strategy;
- Be responsible for demand planning, selection and quantification of medicines and medical supplies to determine pharmaceutical requirements as input to procurement processes;
- Identify and manage risks associated with warehousing and sales and distribution of medicines and medical supplies;
- Undertake and manage manufacturing and compounding of products under the good manufacturing practices for pharmaceutical (GMP) products;
- Support the CEO in fostering a corporate culture that promotes strong ethical practices, good governance and employee productivity; and
- Advise CMST Management on all matters relating to pharmaceutical operations and act as Secretary to the Technical Committee of the Board of Trustees.
The incumbent must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy or Medicine from a recognised university in Malawi and internationally and a post graduate degree in Business Management, Public Health, Surgery, Supply Chain Management or any other related disciplines from recognized universities;
- Have at least ten (10) years’ post qualification experience at Director level or senior management position preferably in health, supply chain management, commercial or public sector;
- Be assertive, proactive and diligent leader with commitment to the highest standards of service delivery;
- Hold valid membership with a relevant Pharmaceutical Professional body in Malawi or internationally, be in good standing with a valid practicing certificate;
- Have demonstrable knowledge of the broad concepts of National Medication Policy, Essential Medicines Lists, Essential Equipment Lists, Standard Treatment Guidelines and “Dangerous Drug” (DDA) or Narcotics Policy, and National Donations Policy;
- Have demonstrable knowledge about exceptional considerations in the quantification, selection, procurement, warehousing and distribution of products supplied by parallel Supply Chains (e.g. ARVs, TB, Malaria, Reproductive health commodities, Vaccines, controlled/dangerous drugs etc.);
- Have working knowledge of appropriate legislation and policy with regard to pharmaceutical procurement processes and ability to monitor processes for prequalification and tender contracting; and
- Have experience in management of diverse donor funded projects/ strategic partnerships, positive stakeholder engagement and have a thorough knowledge and understanding of public health supply chain.
Submission of Application
CMST is an equal opportunity employer although only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
CENTRAL MEDICAL STORES TRUST
The Central Medical Stores Trust (CMST) is responsible for procurement, warehousing, sales and distribution of quality medicines and medical supplies to all public health facilities in Malawi. The CMST now seeks to recruit Procurement Manager (PM) at Grade MS3 tenable at its Head Office in Lilongwe as detailed below:
Job title : PROCUREMENT MANAGER
Grade : MS3
Reporting to: Director of Procurement (MS2)
Overall purpose of the job:
Reporting to the Director of Procurement (DoP), the Procurement Manager shall play a key role in the procurement of all medicines, medical supplies, goods, works and consultancy services required by CMST and provide leadership to Procurement Officers.
The role of the Procurement Manager shall include supervision of staff and assisting the Director of Procurement with managing the purchasing and supply-chain management for Trust. The incumbent shall also help establishing policies and procedures covering value for money strategic sourcing, compliance with spending limits and improving productivity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning and supervising the activities of staff within the Procurement Directorate.
- Assist the Director of Procurement (DoP) with technical issues when liaising with the Public Procurement and Disposal Authority and Cooperating Partners;
- Provide advice through the Director of Procurement on all matters relating to procurement;
- Participate as a member of the CMST Internal Procurement and Disposal Committee;
- Contribute to the preparation and update of the CMST Annual Procurement Plan;
- Participate in the review and approval of Bidding Documents, Specifications, Procurement Notices, Letters of Invitation, Shortlisting and Bid Evaluation Reports and Contracts in respect of CMST procurement;
- Review procurement requests submitted by user Departments;
- Draft reports on procurement activities undertaken by CMST for submission to the DoP;
- Oversee maintenance of Procurement Databases and Registers.
- Liaise with Procurement Auditors and facilitate the audit process.
- Any other duties as assigned from time to time.
The incumbent should:
- Have a strong personality and be of decisive disposition and of undoubted integrity;
- Be a self-starter;
- Be capable of managing a Department and motivating employees to perform and deliver on their mandates;
- Be a Team Player and Team Builder;
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Be a self-motivated individual with the ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines;
- Possess the qualities and skills that will enable them to successfully perform the duties described above.
- A Master’s Degree in Procurement and Supply Chain Management and with a Bachelor’s Degree in Procurement, Commerce, Business Administration, Law or any other relevant discipline from an accredited and recognised University.
- Those candidates with a professional qualification in procurement and supply chain management such as the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) or equivalent shall have added advantage. Membership to a professional procurement body such as Malawi Institute of Procurement and Supply (MIPS) is essential.
Experience and skills
- A minimum of 7 years verifiable experience in the management of public procurement, with specific experience of procurement for major projects and programmes in the health sector.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project Management, PowerPoint and Internet.
- Ability to coordinate multiple group efforts to achieve objectives.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and decision-making ability.
- Ability to conduct effective negotiations and manage complex transactions involving suppliers, customers and all key stakeholders
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform financial analysis and budgeting; application of tools and processes to successfully develop and implement supplier arrangements conducting negotiations to improve processes.
- Demonstrated excellent influencing skills and strong negotiation, analytical and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to effectively partner with diverse groups with different needs and agenda.
- Proven ability to work across functional area boundaries, and to lead multi-functional teams.
- Excellent problem solving and conflict management skills.
Submission of Application
Interested persons should submit their applications, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CVs) and copies of certificates clearly marked “PM VACANCY” not later than 16.00 HOURS ON 21 SEPTEMBER, 2018 to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Central Medical Stores Trust
Mzimba Drive, Opposite Kamuzu College of Nursing
Private Bag 55,
CMST is an equal opportunity employer although only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.